Immigrating to Canada requires having your educational credentials evaluated by an authorized organization. World Education Services (WES) is one of the designated organizations that provides credential evaluations for immigration to Canada.
WES refers to official Indian bodies like University Grants Commission (UGC), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), and other government entities for evaluating and approving Indian universities.
Immigrating to Canada is a dream for many Indians seeking better quality of life, job prospects and stable future abroad. However, getting your educational qualifications from India evaluated and verified is an important step in the immigration process.
World Education Services (WES), a leading credential evaluation service trusted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), assesses international academic credentials as per Canadian standards. A WES credential evaluation report is mandatory for many immigration pathways like Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs.
Below is a list of major Indian universities recognized by WES for immigration purposes:
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Lucknow
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Allahabad University, Prayagraj
- University of Rajasthan, Jaipur
- Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur
- Gujarat University, Ahmedabad
- Sardar Patel University, Anand
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Bangalore University
- Kuvempu University, Shivamogga
- Gulbarga University, Kalaburagi
- Karnataka University, Dharwad
- University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram
- Cochin University of Science and Technology
- Calicut University, Kozhikode
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Anna University, Chennai
- Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad
- University of Calcutta
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Vidyasagar University, Midnapore
- Vikram University, Ujjain
- Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur
- Devi Ahilya University, Indore
- HNB Garhwal University, Srinagar
- Kumaun University, Nainital
- Gauhati University, Guwahati
- Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh
- Utkal University, Bhubaneswar
- Sambalpur University, Sambalpur
- Pt Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
- Guru Ghasidas University, Bilaspur
- Ranchi University, Ranchi
- Vinoba Bhave University, Hazaribagh
North Eastern Hill University, Shillong
Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad
Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
The WES credential verification process involves the following steps:
- Submitting application form and payment on WES portal
- Providing all required documents – degrees, marksheets, transcripts, course descriptions etc.
- Getting academic documents certified/attested from relevant authorities
- Sending attested copies to WES Canada by courier
- WES verifies authenticity of documents directly with the awarding universities
- Evaluation is done by academic staff and subject experts
- WES issues assessment report within 1-2 weeks
- The report can be accessed online on WES portal
- Hard copy of the report is also mailed to the applicant
- WES report can be used for immigration and academic admission applications
Yes, WES credential evaluation is required to validate your international degrees as per Canadian standards. It’s mandatory for most immigration pathways.
Create an account on www.wes.org, apply online, pay the fees, and then send your documents by courier along with the WES reference number. The process takes 1-2 weeks.
You’ll need to submit certified copies of your educational documents – degrees, diplomas, marksheets, transcripts etc. Get them attested by a government authorized body before sending them to WES.
WES usually completes evaluation within 7 days after receiving all documents. The whole process takes around 2 weeks.
WES doesn’t disclose an official blacklist. But universities that are unapproved by UGC/AICTE or have accreditation issues may get flagged during verification. Check with WES directly about any university.
Yes, Canadian immigration requires completion of 16 years of formal education – 12 years of school and 4 years bachelor’s degree. Applicants with 3 year Indian bachelor degrees need to get their credentials evaluated by WES to prove educational equivalency.
A WES assessment may be required while applying for study permit if you have foreign credentials. It helps prove that you meet the admission requirements of the Canadian university.