Dubai has emerged as a popular study abroad destination for international students due to its world-class education system, high standard of living, and booming economy. Here is a comprehensive guide for students looking to study in Dubai:
Top Universities in Dubai
Some of the top universities in Dubai include:
- University of Wollongong Dubai – Branch campus of University of Wollongong Australia. Accredited by UAE Ministry of Education. Offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in business, engineering, IT, arts, etc.
- Heriot-Watt University Dubai – Branch campus of Heriot-Watt University UK. Accredited by UAE Ministry of Education. Offers programs in business, engineering, design, etc.
- Rochester Institute of Technology Dubai – Accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education USA. Offers programs in engineering, business, IT, design, etc.
- American University in Dubai – Accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education USA. Offers undergraduate and graduate programs in arts, sciences, business, engineering, etc.
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education Dubai – Branch campus of Manipal Academy of Higher Education India. Accredited by UAE Ministry of Education. Offers programs in engineering, IT, business, healthcare, etc.
- BITS Pilani Dubai – Branch campus of BITS Pilani India. Accredited by UAE Ministry of Education. Offers engineering, management and sciences programs.
The admission process typically includes:
- Researching and shortlisting universities and programs
- Checking admission requirements like academic scores, English proficiency, etc.
- Filling application form along with required documents
- Appearing for admission interviews if required
- Applying for student visa after receiving offer letter
The key documents required for admission are:
- Mark sheets and certificates of 10th, 12th and graduation
- English proficiency test scores (IELTS/TOEFL)
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- Updated resume
- Passport size photographs
- Health/medical certificates
To apply for admissions and visa in Dubai, these documents need attestation:
- Birth Certificate – Attested from State Government and Ministry of External Affairs in India. Then from UAE Embassy.
- 10th/12th Marksheets – Attested by school and district authorities, then Ministry of External Affairs in India. Finally from UAE Embassy.
- Degree Certificates – Attested by college, University Syndicate, Ministry of External Affairs, and UAE Embassy.
- Experience Letters – Attested by relevant company and Chamber of Commerce before attesting by MEA and UAE Embassy.
- Issued by UAE Ministry of Education to confirm that your existing qualifications are equivalent to the UAE system.
- Required for 10th, 12th certificates from boards like CBSE, ICSE, IB etc.
- Needed for graduate and postgraduate degrees from foreign universities.
- Process involves submission of original certificates, payment of fees, and attestation.
- Timeline is 2-4 weeks. Communicated through universities once done.
School Transfer Certificate
- Students relocating from India to Dubai for class 11th or 12th need to submit TC from previous school.
- School TC needs to be attested by district education officer before submission.
- Academic records, subjects studied, and medium of instruction should be clearly specified.
- Any other remarks by school authorities should also be mentioned.
Scholarships for International Students
There are several scholarships offered by the Dubai government and universities:
- Mohammed Bin Rashid Scholarship – For UAE nationals and Arab expats in the Gulf region pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate studies in Dubai. Covers tuition fees and living expenses.
- Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Scholarship – For outstanding UAE high school students to pursue higher studies in Dubai. Covers tuition fees.
- Dubai Duty Free Scholarship – For UAE nationals to pursue graduate studies in Dubai. Covers tuition fees and offers monthly stipend.
- University Scholarships – Many universities like Heriot-Watt, Manipal, etc. offer merit-based scholarships that cover 25% to 100% of tuition fees.
- Sports Scholarships – Offered for students who excel in sports and extracurricular activities.
- Future Design Scholarship – Offered at American University in Dubai for students in design programs.
Dubai offers excellent internship opportunities for international students to gain work experience. Some options are:
- University career centers that help connect students with internships
- Large multinational companies like Emirates, Emaar, Du, Etisalat, etc.
- Startups and SMEs across sectors like retail, tourism, media, real estate, etc.
- Government organizations like Dubai Chamber of Commerce, Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai Media City, etc.
- International events like Dubai Expo, Dubai World Cup, Dubai Shopping Festival etc.
Part-Time Work Options
International students on student visa can work part-time up to 20 hours per week during academic semester and up to 40 hours per week during vacations. Some popular part-time jobs are:
- Working in malls and retail outlets
- Promotional work for brands and events
- Teaching assistants or graders at universities
- Freelance work like content writing, graphic design, web development etc.
- Working in restaurants, cafes or other F&B outlets
- Private tutoring
Accommodation Options in Dubai
Some popular accommodation options for students include:
- University hostels and dormitories – Convenient on-campus living, costs around AED 6,000 to AED 12,000 per year
- Student apartments – Affordable options available near university campuses and metro stations, costs AED 40,000 to AED 60,000 per year
- Shared accommodations – Renting a room in a shared flat or villa, costs around AED 8,000 to AED 12,000 per year
- Homestays – Living with a local Emirati family, provides cultural exchange, costs around AED 6,000 per month
- Private hostels and PGs – Offer convenient amenities like wi-fi, laundry, etc., costs around AED 9,000 to AED 15,000 per year
Public Transportation in Dubai
Dubai has an excellent public transport system comprising of:
- Metro – Automated train network connecting major areas. Students can buy monthly passes.
- Buses – Extensive network of public buses managed by RTA. Buses are air-conditioned and have daily/monthly pass options.
- Taxis – Easily available 24/7. RTA taxis can be booked through the Hala app. Uber and Careem also operate extensively.
- Trams – Connects Jumeirah Beach Residence to Dubai Marina. Free for all riders.
- Water transport – Ferry services and abras operate between Deira and Bur Dubai.
Safety in Dubai
- Dubai is considered one of the safest cities in the world for residents and tourists.
- Stringent laws and speedy justice system ensure very low crime rates.
- Heavy police patrolling across the city ensures safety at all times.
- Emergency number (999) immediately responds to any safety incident.
- University campuses have 24×7 security arrangements and monitoring.
Beyond academics, Dubai offers:
- Shopping festivals, mega malls, traditional souqs for retail therapy
- Beaches, waterparks, theme parks like Atlantis, IMG Worlds for entertainment
- Historical sites like Dubai Museum, Sheikh Saeed Al Maktoum House, etc.
- Desert safaris, dune bashing, camel rides, and more adventurous activities
- Dubai Creek, Burj Khalifa, fountains, Miracle Garden, Global Village for sightseeing
- Expat communities, cultural centers, food festivals for cultural experiences
- Dining out, nightlife clubs, comedy shows, music events for partying
- Fitness centers, cycling tracks, water sports for staying active
Dubai has quickly become a leading study abroad destination for students around the world owing to its high quality education system, low tuition fees relative to the West, diverse student population and culture, as well as excellent career prospects after graduation.
The city is home to numerous prestigious international branch campuses as well as accredited local universities offering a wide range of programs at affordable costs. From engineering and business to aviation and healthcare, students can find top-ranked institutions for their chosen field of study.
The student visa process is smooth and allows students to work part-time during their program. Excellent public infrastructure, transportation, safety, and lifestyle attractions further add to the appeal of living and studying in Dubai.
With its strategic location, futuristic vision, and opportunities for global exposure, Dubai provides the perfect launchpad for gaining international education and experience. Students who study in Dubai open the doors to building professional networks and kickstarting their careers in this bustling global business hub.
The comprehensive information provided in this article equips prospective students with everything they need to make an informed decision about pursuing their academic goals in Dubai.